Friday, August 14, 2015

Interactive Science Notebooks!




I can't believe I am back at work next week! Monday is our new student orientation where we introduce new students to the school and give them a tour. Then Tuesday and Wednesday is set up day! Thurs-Fri ALL DAY MEETINGS! I think I might need some stretch breaks throughout the day! Anyways, because we are starting so soon, I started to buckle down and plan out the first few weeks (maybe months lol). 

Last year I used interactive notebooks for the first time. I have done lab notebooks before, but it was only for labs and it stayed in the classroom. I wanted to try out having everything in one spot. I think last year was a success with a few things I felt worked and didn't work. 

this years INB: Teacher Editions, planning sheets, a foldable on units

what worked:
  • organized table of contents was great! when the students actually had their pages numbered it was perfect. Some even went a step further and would put a string as a bookmark or a post it tab so I knew where the most recent assignment was. 

















  • course guide in the front of the book - I had a folded paper with all the info for the class in like a mini guide where they can refer to when they needed help! I forgot where I got the template from but the person who made it is amazing
  • storage pocket in the back - I made them create a pocket from some back pages to hold anything they did not finish in class to make sure it wouldn't get lost. It was magical. 

  • decorating - they were given creative freedom in decorating the notebook to show their personality. Mine was a little crazy I am not going to lie. 
  • which leads me to "teacher edition" - I made one at the same time the students did. Yes, I had to pretend to be a student and complete the assignment in the notebook just like they did. It was time consuming but worth it. If a student was absent, I showed them mine. It modeled what I was looking for and how it should be organized. It was fun!

what didn't work:
  • the vocabulary index was a fail. It was extremely time consuming and we had so many vocabulary words for both Biology and 8th grade science it was hard to keep up. Maybe in the future I can find an easy way to incorporate it.


  • Vocabulary pocket - we never made flash cards like I wanted because again lack of time so the pocket just sat there all sad. See, he looks very sad. 
  • Input/output on left and right side of the pages - I found that the students would run out of space and start writing on the back of the wrong side. Some wrote more than others and honestly, I felt like I was wasting paper if I didn't use both sides and let the notes run continually. I am tree loving hippie so I believe in saving trees. 
  • grading with stamps/stickers in the table of contents - this wasn't too bad, it was the collecting of the notebooks in my large class and stamping/grading the assignments that took lots of time. I need to make sure I did notebook checks on days they were working independently. In one class I had 40. yes 40. In a 55 minute class period. That was obviously graded over multiple days. I also felt that some assignments in the notebook deserved a separate grade rather than just having it averaged into the notebook grade.  
INB changes for the 2015-2016 school year: 

  • this year the students are going to have 2 composition notebooks. Our department orders enough to give the students their notebooks so they don't have to buy them and we get started from day one. 
    • one notebook for labs that stays in the classroom 
    • the other is an interactive notebook that stays with them at all times! 
  • planning sheets - I didn't use these last year but I created one that matches the table of contents to make it easier for me to use when I am planning and not mess up my teacher edition.
  • I am creating a teacher edition. again. I am teaching a new subject and one from last year so I need to make one to stay up to date. 
  • foldables and activities are going to get graded before we paste them into the notebook. I like this idea because I can give them a grade for assignments they worked hard on rather than having it grouped in with a notebook grade. I can have the notebook grade at the end of the 9 weeks worth a smaller grade. 
I am hoping the notebooks are successful again this year! 




No comments:

Post a Comment